1874: Introduction of the Special Prize Department
James B. Plastow (1846-1894), a merchant in Rockton, sponsored a cash prize of $1 for best five yards checked or striped flannel for ladies’ dresses. Elizabeth Young (1837-1912) won.
Robert Evans (1842-1900), a seed merchant in Hamilton, sponsored special prizes equaling $9.00 for items such as largest Swede turnip, largest white carrots, and best fresh butter.
1877: The Society added a 10¢ entrance fee to the Drill Shed.
1878: After the 1878 Fair, guests and newspaper men gathered around Andrew Kernighan’s (1820-1913) table and agreed that the show should be called “the World’s Fair” since all the world comes to it.